Tuesday 10 March 2009

Well, fuck

It has been confirmed. Dahveed is out for the next 2 weeks at least. Read the full article here. And yes, I know it is goal.com and they're not exactly what you'd call reliable, but it's on the Valencia site AND superdeporte, so yeah. I just couldn't be bothered to translate it.

This news is going to be a big blow to Valencia, who are suffering badly right now. They need their top goalscorer there to get the goals for them, or I just don't realistically see where they're coming from. On the one hand, it's sort of a good thing. It'll help the team realise they cannot be so Veeyah dependant. It'll give Vicente a chance to play.

On the other hand - he's their top goalscorer. They need him more than I care to admit. The fact he's not going to be there for 2 weeks to bail them out? It scares the shit out of me. They're in freefall right now, and Unai said they'd hit rock bottom already, that the only way to go from here was up. I don't think that was true. These next two weeks, the potential for Valencia to REALLY hit rock bottom is very much a possibility. They have a porous defence and nobody really lethal enough to finish teams off at the other end. I'm preparing myself for a lot tears and tantrums over the next 2 weeks.

It was just about the worst possible time for this injury to come about. I'm the kind of person that hates to see anyone injured at any time. But for a player THIS important to a team at a stage of the season where they really NEED to be winning every game they play and hoping those around them drop points in order to make the CL spots? Yeah, that's just heartbreaking.

3 comments:

Venice said...

I'm really sorry to hear this Gina. Having a superstar like that in the team is both a blessing and a curse, even when their ego is in order, as Villa's surprisingly is. I say surprisingly because he's showed loyalty and support for his team in the time of need when so many other lesser stars would've taken off a long time ago.

I think I've told you at the beginning of the season that from what I can gather from guys on Cro forums, and they talk a lot of sense, is that the perception of Valencia is that as a whole they probably have the most talented side in Europe. I'm only saying this as a reassurance, it's not only you, or only us, but guys who are not fangirls in anyway hold the same opinion.

So not only are these ballers top players in their positions, but they are also loyal to the team. This is a rare treasure which must be cherished, and Valencia must look into all other options before selling key players.

I'm sorry I've disgressed from the original subject. I hope this situation works as a wake up call for the team to show some dišpet / defiance and exceed all those gloomy expectations.

Gina Villamelon said...

Thanks V. It's good to know that there are people out there, even those who maybe don't consider themselves to be Valencia fans exactly, that believe in the team and their ability. If only a few more people had that belief in them.

Re: the whole Veeyah injury situ. It's heartbreaking, because he WANTS to help. He said that if they let him, he would play this weekend. How anybody can doubt his loyalty to the team or want him out is beyond me, and several members of the current squad could very well take a leaf out of his book and believe.

Anonymous said...

The Guardian had something about Valencia's sad sad situation last night. It was a Sid Lowe blog thing. People who don't even support the team have left some pretty know all comments. Anyway, yeah it sucks and it sucks worse now that Dahveed is out for 3 weeks. We've seen how amateurish the team are without him. Vicente has the presence to lift the team but its no use when the back four are leaking goals like they're going out of fashion.

I don't get Goal.com. What have Valencia done to them? When I read the injury news or something, it always comes across as if they're gloating about it.

I don't think Valencia are going to let this get any worse. Call me an optimist but I really think that the defeat to Numancia should give them a kick up the backside. If it doesn't then I'll start being concerned as to where on earth this team are going to finish.

And oh god that defence. Before Valencia can go anywhere, that back four need to go back to what they are there for in the first place: defending. I have lost count of how many times I've watched one or two of them especially Albiol out of position when the other team goes on the break. If they could learn to stay back a bit more then there would be a smidgen of a chance that they wouldn't concede too many.
And its crap, relying on the 5 teams above to drop points.

And there's a long comment.

free counters