Tuesday 21 April 2009

Holiday run down - part 4!

The visit on day four was to La Cuidad de las Artes y de las Ciencas (The City of Arts and Sciences - not that you couldn't guess that yourselves :P) and for the first time since we'd arrived, we used the public transport to get somewhere because my back was dead beyond all revival hopes. I was at the point whereI had to sit down practically every twenty minutes or so. The first place we visited there was L'Oceanografic, which is basically the aquarium. There was lots to see, but the fish were pretty hard to take pics of because they kept moving so fast and my brain wasn't sending the message to my finger fast enough to take the pic.

I saw Dory fish! It only took me about 500 attempts to get this pic, and even then, it was all blurry because obviously, fish move.

We also went to see the dolphin show, which was pretty cool. I've seen plenty of those in my time, but this one was seriously amazing because theyre were 10 dolphins in it, the most I'd seen before was 4.

There was also some pretty cool sharkies, which I quite enjoyed because I like sharks. Even if they are quite unattractive animals with horrid teeth.

I also took a pic of a freaky crab type thing, it was seriously huuuuge. I'm glad it was in a tank behind glass because it scared me a little.
My personal favourite animals of the day were the penguins, but my dad had the camera then and the photos he took are a total fail for the most part. Boo.

After that, we walked around for a bit until it got to 4 pm, when we were due to go and see a movie at L'Hemisferic, the IMAX cinema. It was just under an hour long and it was about the Alps. It was the first time I'd ever been to an IMAX cinema and I really enjoyed it. The movie was pretty good too, I love mountains and the scenes filmed in the Alps were nothing short of breathtaking. While we were watching the movie, we managed to escape from the rain outside which I was quite thankful for, because my hair does not agree much with the rain.

The buildings in the City of Arts and Sciences are all really modern, and they're all pretty interesting shapes. L'Hemisferic is designed to look like an eye at night, really clever design, but sadly, I didn't get to see it to take a pic, I just saw it on postcards. Still, here's some pics of the various areas during the day.




On the way home, we walked back through the old riverbed, which has been transformed into public gardens and it is a nice escape from the busy city streets. I wanted to go and check out the shopping center that was literally a two minute walk from the hotel, but by the time we got back, I was so tired, I literally just about made it back to the room before falling asleep. I woke up at some point in the evening only to find that they weren't showing either CL game on the telly, so I watched some nature program about insects, during which they insisted on showing close ups of grasshoppers every few minutes. I almost died and not in a good way.

The next day was my final day in Valencia, and I had wanted to go and stalk the players at training, but that kind of fell through when I realised I didn't have the training details with me, so I guess that'll just have to happen next time I go, right? Instead, I met up with Sarah at the Museo de las Ciencias Príncipe Felipe and we went into the town center to do some more touristy stuff there, but that blog post will be up later today or tomorrow.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Gina, I am so jealous. I must go to Spain

senorita.blue said...

Oh oh oh oooohhh!! (faints)

The modern architecture of La Ciudad de las Artes y de las Ciencas is just ahmaziiinggg.
Love it when a city has both old and modern architecture.

Awww - I'm sure you could go to the training ground next time :D
And those boys better be willing to take pics with you.
Or at least you could rely on Mr Thighs to roll up his short shorts ;)

free counters