Monday 6 April 2009

Weekend round up

I have been made of total fail where match reports have been concerned lately. Sorry about that. I have several pretty good reasons though. Firstly, I have been crazy busy with work and uni and I've just not had time to sit down and write a match report. Secondly, I miss almost every single Liverpool game played, and I refuse to write a report on something I haven't seen. And thirdly - Valencia hadn't been winning at all until the past two weeks, and quite frankly, I don't want a permanent reminder of that on the blog. It's sucky and I hate it. Anyway, they are back, and back with a vengeance this week, so I'll do a report. There's plenty to talk about!

I did miss the first half due to work, so again, I cannot comment on exactly what happened until I get a stream. I have however seen the first goal - great pass from Silva, great goal from Mata. That's really all I need to say. The second was a penalty just minutes later, which was promptly put away by Dahveed. Yes he's back, and yes he is still scoring. Words cannot express the level of love I have for that man right now. I don't think it's any coincidence that he comes back from a combination of suspension and injury and suddenly the team scores the same number of goals in one game that they'd managed in 4 games before that. Anyway, the first penalty was apparently debatable and I'll have to find a way of watching that before I comment, but it has to be said, players go down a lot easier in La Liga than they do in the Prem, and referees are a lot quicker to give fouls. This is the only thing I do not like about La Liga.

Anyway, I came back in time for the second half, ready to watch Valencia seal a 2-0 win. Sadly, the prat of a referee had other ideas and gave a PK to Getafe withing 5 minutes of the restart. This confused me more than anything, because there was no foul at all. If anything, it was a foul by the Getafe player on Albelda, but no, the referee had pointed to the spot and that was that. 2-1. It didn't take long for Valencia to get their 2 goal lead back though, Raul Albiol making a rare run forward and cooly slotting the ball into the back of the net. The captain CAN score in the right goal. Do it more please.

And then just two minutes later, Dahveed was in with a great chance to make it 4-1, but he was felled by the Getafe goalie. The referee gave the third PK of the night and sent the goalkeeper off. Things were looking up for Valencia, and with a cool head, Dahveed slotted home his second penalty of the night. Vicente came on for Silva with a little more than 10 minutes left to play, and then my telly proceeded to almost kill me by showing a close up slo-mo of his thighs while I was having dinner. I visibly drooled. A little warning would be nice next time people.

Liverpool won 1-0 after a very tense game, the winner being scored by Yossi Benayoun in the 93rd minute. This was enough to put them clear at the top for at least a day, albeit with two games more than Man U. The post was once again not their friend, and watching the highlights of the game, I think I lost count of how many times they hit the post in the first half alone. Anyway, Yossi came to the rescue, and even if it wasn't one of their best performances as a whole, they still got all 3 points, and at this stage of the season, that's the most important thing.

0 comments:

free counters